Tuesday, December 20, 2016

NEW LISTS FOR THE WEEK ENDING 12/18!

hello, my name is Doris

As the end of the year looms (please end!), more and more critics' lists are released into the wild. Many are captured and studied to see what they are made of. Most have similar components (Moonlight, Toni Erdmann). Some are missing parts that every other list has. Some are made up of components that no other list has. Very rarely are two the same. Let's dissect these lists I've discovered.

Rogerebert.com polled its critics and editors and came up with this list to consider. They run a great site over there, so if you're a film fan you should check it out. Most of last week's top 10 make and appearance here. Love & Friendship, which will definitely be in my personal top 10, is mentioned and I like that. I also like that the site's review of La La Land is so glowing, which reminds me that I need to update my letterboxd diary.

1. Moonlight (10)
2. Paterson (9)
3. La La Land (8)
4. Manchester By the Sea (7)
5. Elle (6)
6. Toni Erdmann (5)
7. 13th (4)
8. Cameraperson (3)
9. Love & Friendship (2)
10.I, Daniel Blake (1)

Good old Newsweek published their list on Thursday. It's wildly different than any of the other lists that I've come across this year so far. Four titles that no other organization has mentioned are given notice here. Only two of last week's top finishers are in this list, but they liked Hello, My Name Is Doris and I did, too.

1. Allied (10)
2. Arrival (9)
3. Captain Fantastic (8)
4. Christine (7)
5. Edge of Seventeen (6)
6. Hail! Caesar (5)
7. Hell or High Water (4)
8. Hello, My Name Is Doris (3)
9. Jackie (2)
10. Julieta (1)

Ty Burr of The Boston Globe handed his list in last week and The Fits gets its first mention as one of the best of 2016. I didn't get to see it when it played here in Austin, but I've heard great things. More points for Moonlight!

1. Moonlight (10)
2. Paterson (9)
3. Manchester By the Sea (8)
4. OJ: Made in America (7)
5. Jackie (6)
6. The Fits (5)
7. La La Land (4)
8. The Handmaiden (3)
9. I Am Not Your Negro (2)
10. Cameraperson (1)

Lastly, the Los Angeles Times critics released their picks over the weekend. Of the three critics the paper employs, only two will be polled here. The lead critic, Kenneth Turan, put out a top 10 list with 16 titles that made no sense. I've chosen not to include it here. It's insane. His associates' lists are as follows. More points for Moonlight!

Mark Olson

1. Moonlight (10)
2. The Lobster (9)
3. Silence (8)
4. Certain Women (7)
5. Things to Come (6)
6. Manchester By the Sea (5)
7. Elle (4)
8. Christine (3)
9. OJ: Made in America (2)
10. 20th Century Women (1)

Justin Chang

1. Silence (10)
2. Moonlight (9)
3. Toni Erdmann (8)
4. OJ: Made in America (7)
5. Everybody Wants Some!! (6)
6. My Golden Days (5)
7. Paterson (4)
8. I Am Not Your Negro (3)
9. Manchester By the Sea (2)
10. Certain Women (1)

So let's see where everything besides Moonlight lands when we add it all up for the end of the week. Some things have moved around and the top contender put even more distance between itself and the rest of the competition. Mad Max: Fury Road did the same thing last year and stayed on top the whole way through. Toni Erdmann jumps from fifth to second and Hell or High Water drops a few.

WEEK ENDING 12/19

Moonlight (130 total points)
Toni Erdmann (70)
Manchester By the Sea (67)
La La Land (64)
OJ: Made in America (58)
Elle (38)
Paterson (38)
Arrival (36)
Hell or High Water (31)
I Am Not Your Negro (25)

No comments:

Post a Comment